In honor of Cinco de Mayo, we wanted to provide a short list of the mobile platform 'must-haves' for the successful enterprise mobile app developer: (hint: tequila is not required)
1. Ability to secure your data & users – in a post-Sony hacked world, securing user data has never been more relevant. When developing mobile apps, you need to consider the following scenarios in securing your data:
- Will the data persist? If so, where? In an purpose-built database, or within an existing existing enterprise system?
- What level of encryption will you require? Do you need to encrypt at storage alone, or should you use encryption in-flight?
- How will you ensure that your users are authorized to access your app?
- How will you ensure that users view data they are authorized to view?
- Are you staffed to handle threat detection? Monitoring? Built-in encryption?
- Look for more on this topic in future blog posts"¦
2. Broad ecosystem of partners – Building a best-of-breed mobile app requires your mobile platform vendor to work with a variety of best-of-vendors. The following vendors add up to be a best-of-breed mobile solution:
- Front-end (client-side) tooling (ex. PhoneGap, Xamarin, AppGyvr)
- Backend services layer (mBaaS // BaaS)
- Identity management (IDM)
- Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM)
- API design & management
- Infrastructure & hosting providers (IaaS)
- Specialized professional services
- Look for a series of blog posts to highlight CloudMine best-of-breed partnerships"¦
3. Integration to enterprise systems – Mobile coupled with the internet of things (IoT) has evolved into 2 key use cases around data integration:
- Bringing existing business data closer to the 'edge.' Mobile provides businesses with the ability to derive additional value from existing data by delivering it to users in the context of their daily interactions (the 'edge'). That data drives new brand experiences, more intelligent consumers, and instant reference capability.
- Collecting & aggregating new information from the 'edge.' Both mobile and IoT have uncovered a tremendous opportunity to collect new types of data from unprecedented, and previously disconnected devices. Enterprises struggle with how to integrate that data back into their mature IT ecosystems.
4. Logging and disaster recovery – You need visibility into your app's operations in order to troubleshoot, maintain, and ensure top-notch performance in periods of high demand. You will also need to analyze operations in order to optimize app infrastructure and support audit capabilities in an increasingly regulated world. Moreover, you need a platform that provides full backup and disaster recovery, ensuring that no data is left behind, and your users can feel confident that their app experience, and data will always be intact.
5. Support for the modern-day developer – Until recently, there was a notion that building an application required two distinct engineering profiles: front-end vs. backend, with each resource falling into a silo with regard to programming language and implementation. For example, an iOS app could be built natively on the front-end using Swift, and complemented with backend logic written in Java, or Groovy. Two distinct technologies, and two distinct skill sets.
CloudMine blends these 5 critical components to deliver the industry's most secure enterprise mobility platform. We set out to solve the tough problems around mobile development so you wouldn't have to. Why reinvent the wheel? Contact us to learn how you can jumpstart your mobile development project.
OK – now you can have the tequila!